• 25. If I have both a valid China Hukou and a foreign passport, can I apply for a residence license as a foreign passport holder?

    No. The Chinese government does not recognize dual nationality. The China Hukou (household registration) must be cancelled before a residence permit can be applied for.

  • 26. What are the risks of overstaying in China if my visa/residence license has expired?

    Government fines will be imposed and there is a risk of both the passport holder and the sponsoring legal entity being blacklisted by the Public Security Bureau, which will affect future foreigners applying for residency or residence permit renewals. The max penalty for overstay is RMB 10,000.

  • 27. Are the medical certificates issued by my home country’s hospital enough for immigration purposes in China?

    No, the Labor Bureau and local Exit-Entry Bureau will only accept a medical certificate issued by an appointed local Port Hospital. For Shanghai you will have to go to “The Shanghai International Travel Health Center”.

  • 28. What should I do if I lose my passport?

    You need to visit The Exit- Entry Bureau to report for your passport loss and apply for a passport from your embassy or consulate. Once your passport has been obtained you will be required to apply for a new Residence Permit .Please contact your Consultant us for more information and assistance.

  • 29. After I have submitted my passport to the Exit-Entry Bureau will they provide me with a temporary passport for travel?

    The Exit-Entry Bureau can issue a travel slip which allows you to travel domestically within Mainland China.

  • 30. 144 Hour Visa-Free Transit

    As of January 30th, 2016, the Shanghai municipality and the provinces of Zhejiang and Jiangsu are participating in a policy that allows for visa-free transiting for up to 144 hours. It provides more convenience and flexibility to businessmen, travelers, and passengers who are passing through these provinces to their final destination. Citizens from certain countries can transfer in China via any of the following ports of entry including:

    • Shanghai Pudong International Airport
    • Shanghai Hongqiao International Airport
    • Shanghai Port International Cruise Terminal
    • Shanghai Wusongkou International Cruise Terminal
    • Shanghai Railway Station
    • Nanjing Lukou International Airport
    • Hangzhou Xiaoshan International Airport

    A traveler without a Chinese visa can transfer by producing his / her own valid international travel documents and onward air / vessel / train ticket to a third country (region) with confirmed date and seat within 144 hours upon arrival, and can stay within the administrative precincts of Shanghai Municipality, Jiangsu Province and Zhejiang Province for 144 hours.

    Currently, there are 51 countries where citizens are eligible for the visa-free transit policy. They are Albania, Argentina, Austria, Australia, Belgium, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Brazil, Brunei, Bulgaria, Canada, Chile, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxemburg, Macedonia, Malta, Mexico, Montenegro, Netherlands, New Zealand, Poland, Portugal, Qatar, Romania, Russia, Serbia, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, South Korea, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, United Arab Emirates, Ukraine, United Kingdom, United States of America.